Book Review and Fluff Plans

After reading some top-quality book reviews around the blogosphere, I thought I'd branch out a bit today with a little review of a book - or rather a class of book - I became interested in recently.  The tome in question is Combat History of Heavy Anti-Tank Unit 653, by Karlheinz Munch.  I got this as a gift but it's available on Amazon for just over £10, depending on seller.  It's one of a number of books that have come out recently on the subject of the organisation and history of German units in World War II.  After a wave in the 90s and 00s of first-hand memoirs, written by veterans seeking to get their experiences on paper and pass them on to the next generation, there have recently been a number of thoroughly-researched, more technical and less personal histories of the minutiae of some German army units.  It's into this category that this book falls.


It opens with a personal diary from an NCO in the unit's early days as a Sturmgeschütz unit, as he describes the tedious preparations for war in 1940/41, then with telling brevity the vicious fighting in the opening days of Operation Barbarossa.  Entries told something of the heavy combat as well as tedious regimental life - delousing, maintenance, and so forth - until I became really interested in this real, gritty, unadorned history of the largest-scale invasion of the war.  Until after the entry for 20 November 1941, the next line simply reads 'Unteroffizer Skodell's diary ends here'.  I looked at the page - I'm on 13 of about 370 - and it already feels like I've read a whole book.  It's going to be crammed ...




The book is jam-packed to the rafters with high-quality photos, and in the vein of Unteroffizer Skodell's diary, they record not just the Bundesarchiv propaganda shots of enormous Jagdtigers and things, but also shots evidently from personal collections, of maintenance, relaxing, writing letters and other things you don't often see.  The book is a veritable stew of different parts of history and it'd spoil it if I carried on listing them like this, but suffice it to say the obvious TO&Es are covered very thoroughly, including lists of commanders' names, war diaries, regimental paperwork, letters to Berlin on the performance of some of the tanks in Heavy Anti-Tank Unit 653, diagrams from training manuals, and a section of colour plates.

It's very heavy-going, and not recommended for traditional reading as such - more as a reference book for dipping in and out of.  Apart from a general chronological theme, there isn't much rhyme or reason to its layout, but that's part of the charm.  Sit down, let it fall open, and read a letter from the unit to General Hartmann in the Speer Ministry.  It's so detailed that if you happened to be interested in this particular unit, you'd be sorted - but it's better to look at it as a microcosm of unit life on the Eastern Front.  And the number and scope of the photos are unparalleled.  It'd be good to see something similar about the Red Army in this style.

Overall:  4/5.  Excellent detail and scope, a unique collection of interesting photos, but perhaps a little heavy-going for the casual reader.

Anyway!  On to the main point of the post.  My regular readers will remember my fluff magnum opus - Codex Palladia.  This was a background book which detailed every last bit of information you could want on the Palladian Guard.  It is inspired by the German Army Handbook of 1918 - when I say 'inspired', I mean most of the headings are taken from the real-world book and written up in the style of the Departmento Munitorium manuals.

I was going to do the same for this book for my 9th Battalion army, and then later for the current 2nd Battalion unit.  Now, I pride myself on writing in the propaganda-style of the 40K universe.  An example from a battle report:
With both squads of 2. Platoon mashed by bolter fire and fleeing the battlefield and my Salamander destroyed, I had nothing else on the field except my commander Capt Nero, and because of his Impetuous rule he had no choice but to assault the enemy captain.  My demolisher scored a lucky hit and killed a scout unit, while Commissar-Lieut. von Russ killed a skimmer with a plasma pistol shot through the sheerest good luck and nothing else.  Apart from the tank and 4 men, the entire army was wiped out and I just managed to contest enough of the objective to scrape a win.
Becomes ...
With both squads of 2. Platoon cut up by bolter fire in minutes and the company Salamander destroyed, Capt. Nero led a counter-attack, personally assaulting the heretic captain.  The Pioneering Light used its heavy flamers to burn an infiltrating scout unit with righteous flame.  Commissar-Lieut. von Russ destroyed an enemy skimmer with a single shot from a blessed plasma pistol.  Despite suffering heavy casualties, the Guard carried the field thanks to its good order and morale.
You get the idea.  Propaganda, basically - a bit like the Uplifting Primer.  So, I decided to do this next fluff project in much more measured, human tones, like in the Unit 653 History.  A low-level report on a company's history would not get looked at by the zealous batallion staffers, and would probably be a bit less propagandry.  Although that 'zealous' style is good, and reflects the desperate propaganda-disinformation ethos of the Imperium, you do pay the price of a bit of realism and 'on the ground' feel.  So the next project will be far more realistic and paint a better picture of life in a Palladian infantry battalion.  Watch this space ...

Thanks for trawling through a bit of a wordy post.  As promised last time, I'll be finishing off my Sentinel Squadron now.  As soon as I've clicked 'post', I'll press play on Das Boot and do another three hours of modelling-instead-of-work, and I'll have the built articles for you at the weekend.

The Colonel.

Comments

  1. I like "wordy", makes me feel like I'm getting my money's worth. :)

    Always enjoy most all articles of fluff you create for your armies. Really makes me think I should stop procrastinating on writing more on my own. (Rather than the small ditties I offer for each of the figs I post up on my blog.) Something more meaty.

    But only so much time and I think right now, putting that time into painting is probably best. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! And cheers for the inspirational word :) I'll keep chugging it out. Small ditties are good - most of the 'meat' of the text in the master fluff doc is just a compilation of ditties. So save them and one day there'll be enough for something meaty. Yeah, I'm acutely aware that every second I spend typing is a second I'm not modelling...

      Delete
  2. Going to have to get my hands on that book sounds like justmy thing, i love anything with the order of battle and unit dispostions in it. I,ve got but nothing that go's into such details. I like the war memoirs too, recently read by tank into Normandy and Chickenhawk (Vietnam slick squodron)I like your idea for writing upa 40k style company/battalion war diary, Just remember to add mentions in dispatches forthe poor squaddy'd.

    Blitz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry hit publish before a proper reread of that comment, not compleat gibber tho:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Blitz: Thanks mate! Well, drop me an email at colonelscipio@yahoo.co.uk and I'll send you the .pdf if you like. Read both of those, they're both good reads. I'll try and make it a bit more squaddy-focussed but the Palladians are notoriously snobbish, and have some very old-fasioned (by our standards) ideas about officers and nobility so they tend to get the lions' share of medals and MiDs.

      Delete
  4. I think if I were more organized and thoughtful I might have more books like this one your talking about in my collection. As it stands though I get easily distracted and find myself just scratching the surface of topics before I redirect and forget what it was that I was working on. It makes for neat archaeology a few years down the road when I dig out a box of half finished forgotten minis. I'm getting better at it, I don't know if it's because I'm getting older, or because I have my blog as a living record. Just today I wrote out the background of a faction for my 15mm sci-fi games that I had created in a timeline a couple of months ago. I had no intention of doing it but after I seen the cursory mention of them I thought they could make a really neat faction if I fleshed them out. I think a book like 'Combat History of Heavy Anti-Tank Unit 653' would have doing a similar sort of thing but much more in depth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have similar archeological expeditions every now and again when I look back at unfinished projects. Although I think I'm quite good now at holding off until I've finished existing projects - mainly after having to get rid of a ton of stuff I knew I was never going to finish a few years back, only to regret it later on. I love your alternate history settings (still plugging away at War in South America!) so it'd be great to see any of the stuff you have.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts