Cawdor Necromunda Gang

Just finished my Necromunda gang, and though I'd share.  Me and Headologist are busily painting up gangs and terrain (see his scrofulous Scavvies here) for a planned Necromunda super weekend in June, marking another sensible decision by GW to discontinue one of my favourite product lines.

We've always been into Necrounda (in theory) - we probably played more Inquisitor than 40K in our youths because it was cheaper, and have long wanted to move onto Necromunda.  I went on a brutal overspending spree on Ebay and spent well over £100 on various collectors' models and enough to make two gangs.  These really are all beautiful models from a bygone era, metal ones of serious quality and with some imaginative and creative sculpting.

Heirodeacon Varn
Leader of the Krell Yards (East) Chapter of the
United Redemptionist Church of Necromunda




I used some bitz from Victoria Lamb - notably the weapon slings and drum magazines   Despite some issues ordering them, Zinge Industries did some really nice pistols and you can see one of the Juves on the right with the Mauser C96 lookalike.

I saved money on bases by using the cloth 'netting' on the outside of a pencilcase, cut into shards and superglued to the bases with flock.  Remind me, I'll do a post on this soon, because it saved me so much cash.

Painting was simple - red for the tabbards, light brown tunics, and yellow trim, deliberately keeping it very simple.  A little bit annoyed that some of them got 'frosting' from the Matt Varnish, ruining the effect a bit.  My fault for not properly shaking the can, but not serious and nothing a little touching up can't fix.

There we have it!  Thanks for reading all, and stay tuned for the other gang (an Enforcers team), some Necromunda terrain, and hopefully the results of our campaign weekend next month.

Cheers,

The Colonel

Comments

  1. Utterly beautiful sir, love Varn's mask. Many thanks for the shout out. Not played Necromunda in years, and I don't know why it's taken us this long to get round to it. I've been saving my scenery building scraps, some of which will make their way onto my bases (those pan cover meshes are brilliant).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, as soon as I saw that model I knew I had to have him for Varn. And I love that Oriental-style mask too.

      Delete
    2. I love those Noh style masks, and your conversions are seamless, I didn't notice them at all - in a good way

      Delete
  2. These and Kieran's are some of the best painted Necromunda minis that I have seen in years. And I agree - I love that mask. The pistols, slings and magazines really do make a difference. Beautiful look overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Col, hopefully plenty more pics and batreps to follow in the next few weeks. The slings etc also help make each model a bit more unique since there are a few duplicates.

      Delete
  3. Great looking minis. Redemptionists and Cawdor are probably my favorite factions from Necromunda. If you're looking to add some heavies to your gang let me know I have three armed with grenade launchers laying around since I sold the bulk of my Cawdor gangers to be cultists in my friend's army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Chris - actually I am, I tried to convert a Heavy but he went a bit wrong so I might drop you an email.

      Delete
  4. I've never got into necromundia but these models as fantastic! Are the weapons they have included or were those purchased separately

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. Most of them are minor conversions from the standard weapons, especially the longarms which have had things like drum magazines and slings added. The Juve on the right has a weapon bought from a set and swapped with the included stub gun.

      Delete
  5. I love me a good Necromunda gang. Its the uniqueness you can bring to each mini (which you could do in a full blown force for 40K if you had unlimited patience I guess) that grabs me.

    Each one is very characterful - its the whole 'each man is its own unit' thing - I love it.

    These are more great examples. I alwys did fancy the Redemptionists as a faction but was warned off as they were difficult to play so I always went the Van Saar route which was a bit same-same.

    Good work all round Col.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers - yeah I like the way that you get given models which would otherwise be identical, so just lasgun gangers have to be converted to make something a bit unique. Like you I don't think I have the patience to do that for 40K, and as Headologist said, if you convert everything it becomes less special.

      To be honest, I haven't even begun to think about how they handle in-game, I made my choice of gang entirely on the strength of fluff and model coolness, so we'll see how they handle in the forthcoming campaign...

      Delete
    2. Trying to convert a whole 40k army is what's delayed my one, I've decided to pull back on the conversions for that and try and find other ways of getting their fluff across.

      My Scavvy chaps have been chosen pretty much on coolness and fluff alone so I think there'll be fair match ups all round

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts